shibboleth-dev - RE: Soliciting Feedback, Shibboleth 2 Roadmap

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Soliciting Feedback, Shibboleth 2 Roadmap

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Soliciting Feedback, Shibboleth 2 Roadmap
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:53:35 -0500

> In terms of metadata publishing, what about having the equivalent of a
> Z39.50 explain function (but usable, obviously), which would be a
> request to an IdP or SP that would get back some human readable,
> configurable data (such as "If you want to use these services, your IdP
> must release at least the following attributes"

The problem with this (and it applies to putting it in central metadata as
well) is that authorization policy isn't always public. Putting policy in
metadata may require that we look at how to authorize access to it.

> and service
> descriptions) and some machine readable data that would be at least the
> basis of metadata (i.e. basically what you'd need to add a unique
> identifier to to get metadata). This may be included in Tom's suggestion
> (depending on what metadata consumption means, I guess).

Would we want to publish something that isn't quite metadata rather than
just exposing the metadata directly?