shibboleth-dev - RE: GridShib package names

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: GridShib package names

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: GridShib package names
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:45:10 -0500

> It's my recollection we asked permission a while back to put our Shib-
> specific code under the I2 namespace under the goal of eventually
> contributing it to the Shib project. This is with the understanding
> that we are co-ordinating our use of name under that space with its
> rightful owners in such a manner to avoid the usual pitfalls one
> could imagine if we didn't coordinate.

I guess that's possible (that wasn't what Tom asked about on the list just
now), but I guess I didn't look closely at the packages in question...they
looked like something that might potentially already overlap. If not, I
guess it's ok, as long as we know what exactly is being done.

> My thinking has always been the Shib developments of our project
> would be rolled into Shib as the Globus developments into Globus. I'm
> not sure if this goal still makes sense given what appears to be a
> very rapid move to Shib & SAML 2.0. We seem to keep bumping into
> these namespace issues when I think we've been trying to do the
> "right thing" and put things under I2/MACE/etc. So perhaps this is
> just a notion I should abandon?

I'm not sure I see the "win" in creating conflicts and a need for tight
coordination where it might not otherwise be as needed. There's nothing
precluding integration of the code later, and if that necessitates patches
or alterations, you don't have conflicts with existing stuff.

I see coordination as more of an API issue, since we don't want to break
things people are depending on.