shibboleth-dev - Re: GridShib package names

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: GridShib package names

  • From: Von Welch <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: GridShib package names
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:22:27 -0600

It's my recollection we asked permission a while back to put our Shib- specific code under the I2 namespace under the goal of eventually contributing it to the Shib project. This is with the understanding that we are co-ordinating our use of name under that space with its rightful owners in such a manner to avoid the usual pitfalls one could imagine if we didn't coordinate.

My thinking has always been the Shib developments of our project would be rolled into Shib as the Globus developments into Globus. I'm not sure if this goal still makes sense given what appears to be a very rapid move to Shib & SAML 2.0. We seem to keep bumping into these namespace issues when I think we've been trying to do the "right thing" and put things under I2/MACE/etc. So perhaps this is just a notion I should abandon?

Like Shibboleth, the Globus license is the Apache 2 license, not a derivative. So that is not an issue in any case.

Von