shibboleth-dev - Re: GridShib package names

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: GridShib package names

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: GridShib package names
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:50:27 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Tom Scavo wrote:

If so, what license header should be used in the source (both Globus and Internet2 derive from Apache License, Version 2.0)?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Mark Allen Earnest wrote:

One thing I did not do is put a license on it (although it has yet to be distributed), but I'm probably just going to keep the same Apache 2.0ish license terms for simplicity.

Eh, the Shib license isn't "derived from" Apache 2.0, nor is it "2.0ish", it is exactly the Apache 2.0 license. That's the whole point, to use a well-known existing license so that adopters, who are likely to be familiar with that license, don't have to wonder whether there are hidden gotchas in our license that would affect their ability to use the code. That's why the Apache license is designed to be incorporated by reference.

People developing stuff that is intended to be used with Shib can use whatever license they like, but if they want to make it most likely that adopters can use their stuff without getting into silly license battles, just using the Apache 2.0 license as Shib does makes the most sense. They'll want to actually read the license of course, and in particular make sure they and their management understand the patent terms.

- RL "Bob"