shibboleth-dev - RE: passive authN

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: passive authN

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: passive authN
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:35:21 -0500

> I would think the most common case would be that the handler
> is protected by the local sso system, pubcookie, cas, ..., and
> that the handler just records the necessary information.

I would probably dispute that, but nobody knows. I think the more important
point is how the software is positioned and explained, and I don't think our
intent is to emphasize the fact that you can always put one SSO system in
front of another. It makes dealing with logout drastically harder to
explain, if nothing else.

The burden of integration from a protocol standpoint will definitely be with
the proprietary SSO system, though. A handler can presumably be written that
will examine the SAML request and translate it into something else and that
handler code could be shared amongst all the sites using that something
else.