shibboleth-dev - Re: Integration JUnit testing

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Integration JUnit testing

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Integration JUnit testing
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:03:42 -0400

On 8/26/05, Scott Cantor

> > This test is crucial, for both us. You won't get bothered with user
> > problems arising from Shib extensions, and I am assured that any
> > problems that arise post-install are in fact GridShib-related and not
> > a cause of a faulty Shib deployment.
>
> It may be crucial, but it's impossible without embedding back-doors that
> nobody would have enabled in production.

Well, that's why I was asking about the work Howard and Will are
doing. What is it exactly that's being tested anyway?

So let's take SSO out of the picture. We have a simple tool that
makes an attribute query, but of course the AA can't authenticate the
client so it falls back on defaultRelyingParty. We can work around
this in development but it is of little use in general, I'm afraid.

Someone else in the group is working on a similar tool that does
client authn, and so users will be able to test GridShib with this
tool since a GridShib install injects a sample name mapping file into
the config, which we can test against. We do assume the principal
name in the map file is a real principal name, so this is somewhat of
a limitation, but in general we're in pretty good shape for
post-install tests.

I don't know how to do pre-install testing either. Seems like
something is needed though, otherwise there's gonna be a lot of
stepping on each other's toes.

Tom