shibboleth-dev - Re: class loading order

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: class loading order

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: class loading order
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:37:37 -0400

On 8/25/05, Chad La Joie
> Tom Scavo wrote:
>
> > 2) Reinstall the extension. A unit test that (indirectly) depends on
> > this refactored source file will fail since the old class files are in
> > the extension JAR and the JARs appear in the test classpath *before*
> > the unpacked class files.
>
> When you say "reinstall" what do you mean? Just that you run through
> the entire install process in order to do the unit test? (If so, just
> as a speed-up, you can just run "ant compile".)

An undocumented feature! :-)

> Also, if you changed the file name (and thus change the class name) why
> is the test even looking for the old class? Am I misunderstanding what
> you're doing?

The test looks for an old class that DOES exist, which itself looks
for a class that DOES NOT exist, which of course causes the test to
fail.

I'm not sure why you're resisting, Chad :-) but putting JAR files on
the classpath before unpacked class files will most likely continue to
be a source of problems.

> > 3) Manually delete the extension JARs in custom/lib and
> > custom/$EXTENSION_NAME$/dist and reinstall. The unit test will still
> > fail since the JAR file in $IDP_HOME$/lib takes precedence.
>
> No, it doesn't. $IDP_HOME$/lib isn't on the classpath for unit tests.

Oops, I was wrong about that.

> One thing I do agree is a bug, and I'll fix this now, is that the
> build.path in the main build file tries to include some stuff from
> custom/, which it shouldn't.

Yes, and that's why the unit test failed at step 3...there was a JAR
file on the classpath where it shouldn't be. I must have missed one
in dist (which I use to accumulate various distribution files).

Tom