shibboleth-dev - Re: Help with HA Shib

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Help with HA Shib

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Help with HA Shib
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 23:07:40 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:
nodes is thus navigable) So, this is why I suggest you place each nodes IP address in every node's config. It's not like the list should change all that often. (Sorry for the very long winded side track there.)

Right, just wanted to be sure I didn't have to take it out of every peer
list to safely take a box down.

Yep, it's safe. One of the things I always liked about the JBoss replication (which is just their services using the same library I'm using here) is that you could do rolling app server upgrades. JBoss tends to have short release schedules with decent things in each release so being able to roll the upgrades, without service loss, was nice.

One thing you might note is that there's really no amount of stickiness you
can use to make asynch replication work. It's two different boxes making the
connection for a given session, so I don't see how you'd ever link them. It
works for fail-over mode, but that's about it.

Right, and some people set things up like that where they have a single active node and some number of standby nodes. But your right, I should spell that out in the documentation. Thanks.
--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124