shibboleth-dev - Re: Help with HA Shib

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Help with HA Shib

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Help with HA Shib
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:47:02 -0400

Wilcox, Mark wrote:
Silly question - what exactly is driving the use case for HA Shib? And how will you know if you have succeeded?

We have a use case for it here at GU. We want to use artifacts for some things and don't want to rely on a database to store mappings. So if we can sustain system failures and still have everything work okay then we'll know we've succeeded.

For example - do you actually need to replicate state across the nodes in the HA cluster? If you can avoid state replication, then you don't need this multicast stuff and then clustering becomes a lot easier and more reliable IMHO.

Right, this clustering stuff adds complexity, no argument, and in situations that can be addressed by other less complex means I think they certainly should be. In fact, I started writing a Wiki article on how you do this (link below). Some situations can't however, and for those, we have this extension. And as Scott said, in Shib 2.0 I think we'll end up were you pretty much need this kind of system or a database (which as Scott points out just adds another thing to the mix that could fail) if you're going to deploy in a load balanced environment.

https://authdev.it.ohio-state.edu/twiki/bin/view/Shibboleth/LoadBalancedIdP
--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124