shibboleth-dev - RE: Help with HA Shib

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Help with HA Shib

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, "'Wilcox, Mark'" <>
  • Subject: RE: Help with HA Shib
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:08:47 -0400

I assume you're not asking why we'd cluster an IdP, right?

> For example - do you actually need to replicate state across
> the nodes in the HA cluster? If you can avoid state
> replication, then you don't need this multicast stuff and
> then clustering becomes a lot easier and more reliable IMHO.

Yes, but you can't. Type 1 artifacts simply have no other implementation. So
people can wait for SAML 2.0 to do artifacts, use a database, or use this.

Using a database creates yet another single point of failure, or has to be
clustered, at a complexity that's much higher than this.

In 2.0, we add SSO and session management for logout processing, both of
which can be done with cookies alone, but that has some limitations and this
would be a better approach.

Finally, some of this technology might be useful in the Java SP as well.