shibboleth-dev - shibd memory usage

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

shibd memory usage

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To:
  • Subject: shibd memory usage
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:56:19 -0700 (PDT)

My slow end-to-end login response times were due to SP factors.

First I was running a cgi, which took a surprizing amount
of time to get started on a loaded system.

Second though, the shibd daemon grows very large under a load (30-40 simultaneous logins). Possibly due to memory caching of sessions?

At start it is about 7MB. After 900 session creations it is 65MB
After 1800 it is 110MB
After 2700 it is 140MB

I tried this first with the default memory session lifetimes,
from the 1.3 install. Also tried with short sessions (15 sec)
and a 10sec cleanup interval. After 480 logins it was 67MB.

Does a loaded SP system have to use the mysql cache to avoid
this memory usage? Or is there a more efficient setting
for the memory cache?

Jim