shibboleth-dev - easier Apache installer (in particular for Windows Folks)

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

easier Apache installer (in particular for Windows Folks)

  • From: "Wilcox, Mark" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: easier Apache installer (in particular for Windows Folks)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:13:31 -0400

Title: Download page for 1.3
Via Linux Magazine - I discovered the XAMPP project which is designed to make it easier to install the AMPP (Apache, MySQL, Python/Perl/PHP) part of LAMP (where L is Linux). In particular what struck my eye was that there's a Windows installer which includes mod_ssl (something you don't normally find in pre-compiled form).

Alas - it does currently install everything else as well (ie MySQL and all of the "P" languages) - though I think you can just delete them. But you do get a nice console to stop/start Apache from.

But more importantly - I had mod_jk up and running about 5 minutes after downloading mod_jk from Apache. I haven't done all of the steps to get Shibboleth setup - but I figure the hardest parts outside of actual Shibboelth config on the IdP side is normally mod_jk and Tomcat.

And for those one Windows - it can be an adventure finding a binary with mod_ssl.

Also there' versions for Linux, Solaris and OS X.

So anyway - if you want to check it out - it's at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp.

Mark