shibboleth-dev - Re: GridShib install process

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: GridShib install process

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: GridShib install process
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:46:40 -0500

On Jul 25, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:

Just wanted to bring you up-to-date on the new GridShib install
process that's emerging. After spending the last few days studying
and testing the new Shib build files, I'm happy to say that a GridShib
build file is no longer necessary. Step 1 of the GridShib install
process is to unpack GridShib into Shib's custom/ directory and run
'ant install' on the Shib buildfile, followed by a number of one-time
manual operations, mainly modifications to the IdP config file
(idp.xml).

This is what we agreed on earlier and it's about as easy as it gets.
Thanks to the new Shib install process, we don't have to maintain a
GridShib-specific buildfile, which is really nice.

I'm really glad to hear this. Thanks for sticking with us through the somewhat painful process. I do think that what we have now is pretty generally useful.

GridShib will, however, have a buildfile for developers (in CVS but
not in the tarball). This buildfile will have targets for compiling
source code, running unit tests, creating JAR files and javadocs, and
other stuff developers routinely do. In that sense, it's similar to
the Shib build file. The difference is that the GridShib buildfile
for developers will inherit its functionality from the Shib buildfile,
that is, it will invoke the targets of the Shib buildfile to do its
work. It just doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel by
reimplementing the targets of the Shib build file.

This is good to know. I have been consistently against you guys relying on our undocumented targets because I don't want them to in any way constitute an API that we cannot change readily. However, if you are just using these for "unreleased" things you don't mind us breaking, maybe we can meet in the middle.

While implementing the GridShib buildfile for developers, I discovered
some bugs in the Shib ant scripts, which I reported in a separate
thread. Nothing too serious, just some things you'll want to fix
eventually. As far as I know, there are no bugs that prevent a normal
GridShib install. I've run the install test numerous times under
various conditions with no problems..

We're completely frozen now, barring any immediate major bug report. I do think most of your concerns were addressed before we tagged the release.

-Walter