shibboleth-dev - Re: More defined custom extensions mechanism

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: More defined custom extensions mechanism

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc: Chad La Joie <>, Walter Hoehn <>, Shibboleth Developers <>, Von Welch <>
  • Subject: Re: More defined custom extensions mechanism
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:57:43 -0400

On 7/6/05, Scott Cantor

> > 2) Can a script in $IDP_HOME$/bin have access to build.properties?
>
> I think that's wrong. I think you should use SHIB_HOME to find the root and
> then locate things relatively from there.

You lost me...what "root" are you referring to?

> > I can see some problems with the latter, but how else will scripts in
> > $IDP_HOME$ know where the webapp is?
>
> It's not the webapp that matters, ideally it's built from the source
> whenever required and just sits in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps. It's SHIB_HOME that
> should drive tools.

Okay, we were doing good until now...seems one or both of us is
confused. :-) Let me try to summarize:

- User installs the GridShib package in custom and runs the shib
install script as Chad described yesterday.

- The install script includes the GridShib plugin, the metadata file,
and the gridmap files into the build, which is deployed to tomcat.
Some (unspecified) manual setup to the IdP config may be required.

- Simultaneously, as part of the install, the metadata file and the
gridmap files are copied into $IDP_HOME$ (which we assume is suitably
protected). Any needed tools are copied into $IDP_HOME$ as well.

- Later, as part of an ongoing maintenance process, the metadata file
and/or the gridmap files in $IDP_HOME$ are modified.

This is where I'm stuck. How do the modified files in $IDP_HOME$ get
into the tomcat webapp directory? I was thinking there would be a
tool that copied the files from $IDP_HOME$ to the webapp directory,
but from your comments, it sounds like you have a different idea.

Tom