shibboleth-dev - entityID (or providerId)

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

entityID (or providerId)

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: entityID (or providerId)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:23:34 -0400

Quote of the Day:

a good URI...works as both a persistent name and an available location.
So, a URL is really just a URI with practical utility.

See:

Untangle URIs, URLs, and URNs: Naming and the problem of persistence
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-urlni.html

Also, I think we should start using the term "entityID" rather than
"providerId" in our documentation and writing. As Howard has pointed
out, the latter is hopelessly overloaded.

Cheers,
Tom