shibboleth-dev - RE: entityID (or providerId)

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: entityID (or providerId)

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Tom Scavo'" <>
  • Cc: "'Shibboleth Development'" <>
  • Subject: RE: entityID (or providerId)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:27:31 -0400

> With the word "provider", which has multiple connotations. Shib CVS,
> for example, is peppered with this term.

The Java connotation, you mean? I'm not sure why users will be confused by
how code is named. If coders are confused, they should stop coding now. At
least there's no use of providerId anywhere else or to mean anything else.

> I agree with Nate, it's okay to call the identifier associated with an
> SP or IdP a "providerId" (although there seems to be some
> inconsistency in the capitalization of that last letter) but if the
> SAML glossary is any indication, a providerId is a special case of an
> entityID (since a provider is a system entity role).

I suppose that's accurate. And I don't think the capitalization matters.
Lots of things matter in data files that don't matter in English. We've been
consistent in the configurations to use providerId.