shibboleth-dev - Re: Shibboleth v1.3 beta, additional information

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Shibboleth v1.3 beta, additional information

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: Jim Fox <>
  • Cc: Steven Carmody <>, Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: Shibboleth v1.3 beta, additional information
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:51:04 -0500

There are a couple of historical reasons for our previous recommendations that folks front-end tomcat with apache.

1) Efficiency. Load testing indicated that apache had a MUCH higher saturation point when handling SSL. I have not tested this for a couple of releases of the JVM and this information could be stale. It would be nice to know.

2) It used to be the case with apache 1.x that one could run the SSO and AA endpoints on a single vhost and use SSL re-negotiation to force the client authentication for the AA path alone. This meant that all shibboleth endpoints could be run on the standard ports. Apache 2 does not support this configuration.

3) Logging. IMO apache does a better job. For many, this may not be enough of a reason to go through the pain of setting up mod_jk. ;-)

So, all of our historical reasons may be a wash, but there is a new twist. The 1.3 IdP validates SSL clients against the SAML2 metadata and it is advantageous to be able to configure the web-server to not do the validation. I'm not %100 sure(I haven't dug into this code in a long time), but I don't think that tomcat can do this. Aside from the extra pkix validation required, the fallout is that configurations using tomcat would probably need have a process for taking the union of all anchors from the metadata and stuffing them into tomcat's trust store.

-Walter