shibboleth-dev - Re: Gridshib profile

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Gridshib profile

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>
  • Cc: , Tom Barton <>, Von Welch <>
  • Subject: Re: Gridshib profile
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:42:41 -0600

Although it may change in the future, this isn't the way shibboleth works now. The code that sits behind shibboleth's metadata API reads in static xml files containing our proprietary metadata. These files can be either distributed via federations or hand-crafted for bilateral agreements, but the authoritative copies are not necessarily queried in real time.

With Shibboleth 1.3, we plan to support the SAML 2 metadata format, but have no immediate plans to add an "online lookup" capability behind the interfaces. I don't think anyone is against it; but a compelling use case hasn't yet arisen, since the current metadata is mostly static.

-Walter