shibboleth-dev - RE: added functionality for shib target on W2K..

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: added functionality for shib target on W2K..

  • From: "Howard Gilbert" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: added functionality for shib target on W2K..
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:31:26 -0500

> We've contracted with Ryan Campbell to do some additional work on
> the Shib W2K target implementation

There are actually two different W2K potential targets. The current target
operates within the Win32 environment, and we might be more precise to call
it a "Win32" target. In this environment you can talk about the ISAPI
filter, services, and the current ONC RPC linkage.

The future, however, is more likely to use an ASP.NET support, which might
be called a "managed" target. This would be the environment of new IIS
applications and Web Services. The Framework and ASP.NET environment provide
a more flexible approach to authentication, including specific interfaces to
external authentication schemes like Shibboleth. Code here would be similar
to a Java target, although .NET and J2EE offer distinct data structures and
services. Any C or C++ program can be compiled to managed code, so the
current target could be recompiled and then a marketing rep (if we had one)
could lie to customers and call it "managed". The real project, however, is
to integrate into the framework environment.

The easiest solution would be to create two different targets (three targets
on the same machine if it also hosts a Java target). This does not, however,
prevent all three targets from running off the same configuration file. This
is probably one of the subjects we should bring up during one of the calls.