shibboleth-dev - SHIB design call today, ARP GUI, questions from Jennifer

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

SHIB design call today, ARP GUI, questions from Jennifer

  • From:
  • To:
  • Cc: Jennifer Vine <>
  • Subject: SHIB design call today, ARP GUI, questions from Jennifer
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:06:50 -0500

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:12:30 -0800
Subject: Re: SHIB design call -- (2/22), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt
From: Jennifer Vine

('Steven Carmody')

Steven,

I haven't had much time to develop what came out of our last call (I've had another librarian interview since then, as well), but I've written up some questions for Monday's call. I think we'll be able to zip through some of them quickly, but the ARP concept is still kind of sticky. I'm not able to send mail to the dev group - can you forward these questions to the group for me?

Thanks
JV

==========================

1. What are the primary objects the user views/works with and how are they organized?

- Service profiles, organized by vendor, like this:
Ebsco
Academic Source Premier
Business Source Premier

- Is Ebsco an application domain in this example?

- Different service levels at one library would be... separate rules in one ARP? in separate ARPs?

- What's a real instance where an effective rule might be different from the specific rule/profile?

2. How does a user set up a new contract?

- Federation metadata to allow the user to select a profile
1. Select vendor
2. Select service type
3. View and agree to profile
4. Select optional attributes and provide pseudo-attributes (like OCLC contract number)

- If a vendor or service is not represented in the metadata, the user can make a custom rule

- Where does the federation metadata come from? Who maintains it?

- User can "point at" any metadata source to pick up a profile - federation, research group, whatever. (Can a library choose to publish a custom profile so another library can view/select it?)

- If the site's default rule has a "deny" that contradicts a required attribute in a profile, what happens? (We alert the user; the user can override the default (?); the user must change the default.)

3. Do we need to know/record anything about the service end-date?

4. What role does the ARP play; how is it represented to the user; what the heck does it mean?

- Each library sets up their own rules. Library A's patrons may be affected by other Library B's rules, but Library A cannot edit those rules. Can Library A view those rules?
(e.g. Stanford main library does not have a contract for Elsevier Science Direct; the Lane Medical Library does have a contract that allows access at one level to all Stanford affiliates, and access at another level to Med School affiliates.)

- Is each library's set of rules equivalent to one ARP?

- What's a real instance where one library needs to have more than one ARP? Can we say that the tool will look at one ARP at one time?

- What's a real instance where a user's access to a resource will be affected by more than one site ARP?

5. Some other scenarios:

- Lexis/Nexis - walk-in users to the library are excluded from using the service
- Vendor may not want to make public what it has defined for a specific library or consortium - how would this affect the metadata profiles idea?

  • SHIB design call today, ARP GUI, questions from Jennifer, Steven_Carmody, 02/23/2004