shibboleth-dev - RE: added functionality for shib target on W2K..

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: added functionality for shib target on W2K..

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: , 'Howard Gilbert' <>,
  • Subject: RE: added functionality for shib target on W2K..
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:38:03 -0500

> >There are actually two different W2K potential targets. The current
target
> >operates within the Win32 environment, and we might be more precise to
call
> >it a "Win32" target. In this environment you can talk about the ISAPI
> >filter, services, and the current ONC RPC linkage.
>
> This is what Ryan is currently working on......

ONC is also a red herring here, it's an implementation detail. We could have
used DCOM or anything else, but ONC is the most portable (and low footprint)
way to communicate to a second process with a high level interface (i.e. not
just a direct socket).

Using .NET isn't going to obviate the need for this except insofar as we
recognize it's Windows specific anyway and could use something proprietary,
but that would be stupid since what we have works and is done. Maybe we
would in fact decide we need nothing out of process, but somehow I'm betting
we'll need it even more.