shibboleth-dev - Re: Fwd: More detailed Grid scenarios

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Fwd: More detailed Grid scenarios

  • From: Von Welch <>
  • To: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • Cc: Scott Cantor <>,
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: More detailed Grid scenarios
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:59:53 -0600

David,

If I roughly summarize your last few notes, your basic gist is that
the shib handle makes solves the inter-organization authentication
problem and the Grid should use it instead of bringing DNs into the
Shib space.

I think you raise a good point and have changed my thinking
somewhat. Let me raise two points from my side first and then dive
into a modified use case of my own.

First, the Grid is already in bed with the inter-organization
authentication problem. You can argue this is bad, but let's do that
some other time.

Second, many in the Grid community are going to have a problem with a
bearer credental (which is what I understand the shib handle to
be). They will want to have a binding back to a key proven to be in
posession of the user.

So the new use case I'd like to suggest is a modified version of my
original use case #2, basically overlay the shib handle system on top
of the Grid credential system, allowing the shib model to stay mostly
unchanged while addressing my second point above:

1) User authenticate to local service, very similar to the exiting
handle service, and gets back a handle. Handle is also put into shib
AA as it would normally be done today.

2) User bundles handle with Grid credentials, authenticates to target
service (by bundle, I probably mean stick in as noncritical X.509
extension, but that a detail).

3) Target service takes handle, basically acts like a SHAR - it
contacts shib AA with handle and everything proceeds as it normally
would with Shib today.

So this is pretty similar to Shib today, the only difference being
that instead of the SHIRE and browser redirection to get the handle,
the user contacts some modified handle service first and bundles it
with their Grid credentials.

Now let me add one twist - Add something to the handle to accomodate
the "identity" of the user. The modified handle service above could
stick that identity into the handle and a target *who cares* can
verify ownership of the handle and hence get a path back the posession
of the private key (my second point above). Note that a target that
does care (for whom a bearer credential is acceptable) can skip this
step and treat the handle opaquely.

Comments?

Von