shibboleth-dev - RE: Fwd: More detailed Grid scenarios

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Fwd: More detailed Grid scenarios

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>, "'Von Welch'" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: Fwd: More detailed Grid scenarios
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:13:48 -0800

I think you're correct - I was referring to the entire bundle-o-bits flowing
from the HS to the SHIRE by way of the user's browser. The "handle" per se
is inside that BoB. I thought there were additional things like TTL, etc.,
that mitigated against replay. (Been a long time since I looked at the Shib
doc ;-)

I assumed that Von was suggesting inserting that entire BoB into an x.509
object that the Grid target would accept. In the finest Grid tradition, I
believe the user manufactures (signs) their own x.509 object. So, if the
Grid target is happy with that object, and the BoB inside is also
sufficiently trustworthy, then the rest is easy (I think).

Of course, this scenario is a "replay" of sorts but seems like it ought to
work iff (it's within the TTL) && (the IPaddr of the signer's platform is the
IPaddr to which the HS forwarded the BoB).

David

PS: Is the BoB that I'm describing == the SAML Bearer Assertion? Or ...?

-----