shibboleth-dev - Re: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....

  • From: Christopher A Bongaarts <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:12:16 -0600

In the immortal words of
:

> this week, we've seen a *lot* of questions representing a broad range
> of issues and problems that a site might encounter when installing
> the shib software.... its been like a trip down memory lane, visiting
> all these old problems, issues, and friends... (-:
[...]
> but, I'm concerned about whether we might see more and more campuses
> bringing this level of skill and experience to a shib install, and
> repeating the experience we've seen this week, and wondering how to
> simplify this process......

Rewrite it in C with autoconf, so admins can configure, make, and make
install ;) Then the only challenging part is actually *configuring*
it correctly (which with sufficient debug logging should be a cinch).

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has never had to run a Tomcat
deployment until deploying Shib...

(Actually, my first instinct was to implement the origin stuff locally
integrated with our existing SSO infrastructure. Then I realized that
first I would have to build a Perl extension to interface to the SAML
library, and that was a bit too much ;))

%% Christopher A. Bongaarts %%

%%
%% Internet Services %% http://umn.edu/~cab %%
%% University of Minnesota %% +1 (612) 625-1809 %%