shibboleth-dev - Re: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....

  • From: Thomas Lenggenhager <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:15:19 +0100

> this week, we've seen a *lot* of questions representing a broad range
> of issues and problems that a site might encounter when installing
> the shib software.... its been like a trip down memory lane, visiting
> all these old problems, issues, and friends... (-:

What coincidence, just today we discussed on how the error messages could
be improved to guide the end-user and or the shibboleth software installer
onto the right track for fast error solving.

When installing my first target I could not fully understand what the
error messages really wanted to tell me, but mostly looking into the code
around the error message did help.

With the recent experience, would it make sense to go once more through
the target code, checking all error messages and trying to figure out how
they could be improved for better user guidance?

That's not as fancy as an inspector tool, but could immediately improve
the experience.

Thomas