shibboleth-dev - recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: recent install questions, and the middleware diagnostics effort....
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:42:42 -0500

this week, we've seen a *lot* of questions representing a broad range of issues and problems that a site might encounter when installing the shib software.... its been like a trip down memory lane, visiting all these old problems, issues, and friends... (-:

I started wondering this morning, tho (I'm snowed in... and have time to wonder...) what role the Chas' middleware diagnostics effort might play in helping (some entity) to understand and diagnose these problems....

until now, I'd thought of MD as being primarily relevant to monitoring ongoing operations and diagnosing the myriad of weird problems that might crop up when is in production use..... and that MD was not that relevant to diagnosing initial installs......

but, I'm concerned about whether we might see more and more campuses bringing this level of skill and experience to a shib install, and repeating the experience we've seen this week, and wondering how to simplify this process......

might MD include functionality that would help with this process?

should we build some sort of specialized "inspector tool" into shib, that we could connect to remotely? to validate the basic steps in an install?

some other approach?

or is this week just an anomaly?