shibboleth-dev - Re: Apache2: one module or two?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Apache2: one module or two?

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Derek Atkins <>
  • Cc: "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: Re: Apache2: one module or two?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

On 11 Sep 2003, Derek Atkins wrote:

> In my port to Apache2 I'm seriously considering a return to a single
> plugin module. It appears that about 50% of the code in mod_shire and
> mod_shibrm is duplicated, and much of the configuration wonkiness was
> due to the module split. I think it would be easier to code AND easier
> to administer if it were returned to a single module.

This sounds fine (then we could call it mod_shib and not have to explain
what shire and rm mean), but are you implying this would just be the
Apache2 version? I guess I haven't kept track of whether we intend to
distribute distinct Apache1 and Apache2 versions (presumably would have to
with binaries) or all-in-one. Seems like having the module layout be
different between the two would be a pain support-wise.

> I could always add a ShibRM=Off directive to turn off the RM processing
> for sites that want to do it themselves (to retain the same
> functionality as not using mod_shibrm)

I seem to recall Mark Wilcox hinting a while ago that there is work going
on in Apache-land to restructure the way authn and authz work in httpd.
I wonder whether there's any info about that that might guide our design
now. I'm always concerned about things being in a lump when the deployer
would rather have them separable. But the above sounds OK to me.

- RL "Bob"