shibboleth-dev - Kickoff, design discussions, Shibboleth Next Generation

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Kickoff, design discussions, Shibboleth Next Generation

  • From:
  • To: Shibboleth Project <>, , <>
  • Subject: Kickoff, design discussions, Shibboleth Next Generation
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:47:50 -0400

We're beginning the design discussions for the next phase of Shibboleth. We've identified a number of programming tasks; work on them has already begun. In addition, we've identified a number of areas that need some discussion, before programming can begin.

I'd like to start several of these discussions, and have them run in parallel. I'd also like to use the opportunity of a face-to-face Working Group Meeting at the upcoming Internet2 Fall Member Meeting to further explore some of these. (info available at http://events.internet2.edu/2003/fall-mm/index.html ).

I'd like to start by running the discussions on the mailing list. (If you aren't on that list, and would like to participate, the instructions for subscribing are included at the end of this message.) In addition, we'll be holding a weekly conference call, on mondays, at 3 pm edt (lasting roughly 75 minutes). Agenda's will be distributed ahead of time, and discussion will remain on the agenda items. Some of the time will be used to discuss current programming issues; however, I will attempt to limit this to 15-20 minutes. The phone number and PIN for the conference call will be posted to the list, along with the agenda.

I'd like to use a process of soliciting and then accepting use cases, and then building a list of Requirements and Constraints. Part of the trick here, of course, is ensuring that we've got a "good" set of use cases.

I'd like the conference call discussions to be "document-based". A document(s) should be available before the call, and the discussion should be about the contents of the document. A good example of a document might be a use case, or the set of Requirements (once we have accepted a set of use cases), etc.

I'd like to initiate this discussion process next monday, Sept 16. The initial discussion will address three related but distinct issues:

- a java-based shib target implementation

- the use of shib in a variety of situations where credentials have to be forwarded (eg when a channel in a portal needs to contact a backend process, and supply attributes or authn)

- integration with uPortal (a specific instance of number 2, but not the only one).

The starting point will be to ask people to submit use cases (by email'ing them to the list). They needn't be formal, or novel length, but they should be detailed enough so that they call out issues and problems that the architecture and implementation will have to address. Once we are satisfied that we have accepted a sufficient set of use cases, we'll move on to defining Requirements.

I've asked Walter Hoehn of Columbia to coordinate this discussion.

Also, sixteen months ago David Wasley wrote a document title "Shibboleth and Portals". It is available here:

http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/index-wg.html

NOTE VERY WELL: the IPR statement that applies to work done within Internet2 Working Groups is available on the I2 website at:

http://members.internet2.edu/intellectualproperty.html

UNDERSTAND THAT
a) joining the email list, or
b) joining a conference call

implies that you have read this agreement and have agreed to its terms.

Lastly, sometime over the next couple of weeks, we'll be restructuring the Shibboleth related email lists. You'll see an announcement when that happens. However, it is out intent to move the entire membership of mace-shib-design to the new shibboeth-dev list.

1. Send a message to the address:

2. Do NOT include anything in the subject line
3. In the body of the message ONLY include the line:
subscribe mace-shib-design FirstName LastName
i.e (subscribe mace-shib-design John Smith)

1. Send a message to the address:

2. Do NOT include anything in the subject line
3. In the body of the message ONLY include the line:
unsubscribe mace-shib-design FirstName LastName
i.e (unsubscribe mace-shib-design John Smith)