shibboleth-dev - RE: Trust metadata for discussion

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Trust metadata for discussion

  • From:
  • To: "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: RE: Trust metadata for discussion
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:34:17 -0400

At 11:24 AM -0400 5/15/03, Scott Cantor wrote:
> >I'm thinking we should use URIs for origin site names. Then the API
>works as is, and if OSU is registered to InCommon and UnCommon,
>it's with a different URI.

these two suggestions (second parameter, URIs for origin site names)
are starting to make sense for me, too.

They're competing suggestions, or at least orthogonal. Using a URI for sites is a way to avoid having to bring federations into the
discussion. If one site is in two feds, but has different URIs, then at a basic level, it looks like two different sites to the
target. Which fed is involved becomes a fairly internal matter for the code, and doesn't have to be exposed in a way that seems to
me fairly premature, since we don't fully understand feds yet.

I believe I can build a pretty workable multiple federation/trust engine by next week if I can simply disambiguate sites by name in
all cases. Then I have a pretty routine set of additions, and not many changes to make.

So, trying to paste together a somewhat complete description of how this would work, in v1.0..

Starting with some of Bob's text: