shibboleth-dev - Re: Trust metadata for discussion

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Trust metadata for discussion

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • Cc: Steven Carmody <>, Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: Trust metadata for discussion
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:58:06 -0400

RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
So, to restate this so I can test my understanding: if an origin needs to
support distinct requirements of targets (eg what key/cert to use to sign
an authn assertion), then it has to run distinct HS/AA instances, which
specifically means distinct service URLs, aka entry points. Seems
reasonable to me, and as we've discussed, its acceptability depends
somewhat on how many federations show up in practice.

I don't think this necessarily means multiple instances of the HS/AA. A single instance could listen on different URLs and map different handlers to these URLs.

1. Target or WAYF decides which origin (represented by a URL) to re-direct to.

2. The origin listens on multiple URLs, receives a request, then constructs a response based on which URL the request came in on. The Audience is set appropriately.

3. The SHIRE passes the hs name and audience to the OriginMapper and gets back a trust store.

I'm sorry, but as you point out, Steven, a rule like this is entirely
unrealistic. I'm not sure what you mean, Scott, by "Federations are not
'per-request-context' and they shouldn't act like it", but it seems to me
the only rule is that the target is responsible for directing the incoming
unauthenticated user to either the appropriate origin or the appropriate
WAYF.

ditto.

I think we
should avoid scope-creep on the sites file trying to deal with this issue,
which I think is what's happening here.

I think the main idea here is just to make configuration simpler, ie: getting rid of the step where you grab a bunch of certs and stick them in 3 different places".

--
Walter F. Hoehn, Jr