shibboleth-dev - Quick update re: Sun compiler

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Quick update re: Sun compiler

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Shibboleth Design Team' <>
  • Subject: Quick update re: Sun compiler
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:03:02 -0500

There's at least one library we're using, the libuuid code from Ted
T'so's e2fsprogs, that won't build very easily if at all with Sun's
compiler because his autoconf support is not very effective, and he has
some gcc-specific C in it.

It's in C, so it's not a C++ issue, it's just open source code that
expects to be built with gcc.

If they flat out can't run any gcc-built code period, it's going to
create more work for them, at best, and may require us reimplementing
something. OTOH, I'd rather have my own UUID-generator inside the code
anyway, I just haven't had time to work on it.

So far the big C++ link problem I was having with it is fixed, because
we did a lot of research into libtool while working on autoconf, so I
know about the issue now.