shibboleth-dev - RE: autoconf update

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: autoconf update

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Derek Atkins' <>, 'RL 'Bob' Morgan' <>
  • Cc: 'Shibboleth Implementation Team' <>
  • Subject: RE: autoconf update
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:42:36 -0400

> Installing gcc3 on my RH system was fairly simple. I
> downloaded the RH7.2-updates gcc3 RPMS, installed them, and
> then moved two broken libtool archives out of the way. It
> just worked at that point. So yes, there is a little bit of
> documentation, but it isn't that hard IMHO.

It really depends on the version of gcc and Red Hat. Going to 3.04 is
painless. Going to 3.1 or 3.2 on a 7.3 host isn't too bad. 7.2 is much
worse because you have to update RPM, which requires a half dozen or
more updates. Altogether, it's much easier to some extent if you have
access to the Red Hat up2date thing, at least for some of the base
packages.

Ultimately, the important thing is that people know how to find new RPMs
(or whatever the format is on their OS), which I think is something we
have to assume (or document very simply). rpm will tell you what you
need, generally. It just takes a while to collect it all and follow the
chain if you're using the command line.

I think RH 8.0 comes with gcc 3.something, BTW.