shibboleth-dev - Re: autoconf update

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: autoconf update

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • Cc: Scott Cantor <>, "'Shibboleth Implementation Team'" <>
  • Subject: Re: autoconf update
  • Date: 04 Oct 2002 12:29:17 -0400

Installing gcc3 on my RH system was fairly simple. I downloaded the
RH7.2-updates gcc3 RPMS, installed them, and then moved two broken
libtool archives out of the way. It just worked at that point. So
yes, there is a little bit of documentation, but it isn't that hard
IMHO.

Recently I had to install autoconf253 and automake15 as well, and
those worked (although I had to hand-tweak). However, anyone running
a real distribution tarball wont care about autoconf -- they will
already have all that stuff done.

-derek

"RL 'Bob' Morgan"
<>
writes:

> > > Today's stupid question is: what's the best way to put gcc
> > > 3.x on a RedHat 7.3 system? Move to 8.0? Download source
> > > and compile? Other?
> >
> > My suggestion is to go straight to gcc 3.2 now, since it's building
> > successfully there. The Rawhide RPMs (see rpmfind.net) will overwrite
> > gcc/g++ on a 7.2/7.3 box, and you can install the new libstdc++
> > alongside the old one.
> >
> > It does take a lot of package fiddling to get all the pieces, though.
>
> Um, um, um. If installation of gcc 3.x is non-trivial on the typical
> Linux installations people will be using, it seems like this at least has
> to be covered by the deployment guide. Or are we telling pilots we only
> support their running the statically-linked binaries we provide for them?
>
> - RL "Bob"

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available