perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Perfsonar toolkit scheduled test takes ages to load

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Perfsonar toolkit scheduled test takes ages to load

  • From: "Garnizov, Ivan" <>
  • To: Kunal Puri <>, perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Perfsonar toolkit scheduled test takes ages to load
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 11:39:09 +0000

Hello Kunal,

It is nice that you are testing pS Toolkit on a somewhat powerful hypervisor. Nonetheless the specs themselves do not guarantee the resource availability for all of the VMs running.

I am not sure, what does “CPU utilisation 0,7us and memory 3,5Mb” should mean, but I can tell you, that you have chosen to install the most resource hungry pS solution we provide, which incorporates tools for measurement, measurement archive and GUI. The minimum requirements are:

The requirements for the perfsonar-core, perfsonar-toolkit, and perfsonar-centralmanagement bundles are a minimum of 2 cores and 4GB of RAM. The perfsonar-testpoint bundle may work with 2GB of RAM, but 4GB is recommended. The clock speed requirements depends on how fast your network is, but we recommend at least 2GHz cores in general

My question about system logs was not a coincidence and I was hoping for you to check and see, if there are whatever unusual reports with:

-          Timeouts

-          Service restarts

-          Resource depletion

Please keep in mind, that running OWAMP test is one of the most / if not the most / intensive tests with pS. It can generate huge amounts of data, which then can overload the system in attempt to display the results in a graph as it appears is what you are looking for.

Please also provide an output of the top command from the VM in question.

Regards,

Ivan Garnizov

GEANT WP6T3: pS development team

GEANT WP7T1: pS deployments GN Operations

GEANT WP9T2: Software governance in GEANT