perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered off

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered off

  • From: "Garnizov, Ivan" <>
  • To: Mike Cruzz <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered off
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:38:27 +0000

Hello Mike,

Indeed this tool ... actually it is a whole framework of tools (considering
all the different services / components), is deployed mostly by research
institutions, but is also considered and implemented (perhaps still as a
proof of concept) by Cisco and Juniper for their high-end appliances. Anyway
it is most useful for monitoring of end-to-end multi-domain links.

With regards the alerting and the ability to detect network issues it is the
pS MaDDash configuration you have to review.
http://docs.perfsonar.net/psconfig_maddash_agent.html
http://docs.perfsonar.net/maddash_config_server.html

I would like to emphasize, that the graphs behaviour and the MaDDash
operation we discuss here in this thread are not specific to VMs.
VM operation of perfSONAR leads to a different type issues like: unreasonable
/ unexplainable results based on the nature of VM...more specifically the
general resource sharing and contention.

There are partners for example, which have brought pS on Docker containers
and have a complex scheme of management, which is actually outside the scope
of pS development.

Once you are able to understand the pS configuration and operation in
details, it should be possible in theory to run a similar deployment like
theirs.
Actually they are also often addressing this user list.

Regards,
Ivan Garnizov

GEANT WP6T3: pS development team
GEANT WP7T1: pS deployments GN Operations
GEANT WP9T2: Software governance in GEANT