perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered off

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered off

  • From: "Garnizov, Ivan" <>
  • To: Mike Cruzz <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered off
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:09:19 +0000

Hello Mike,

Please note with regards to your reply this channel is a mailing list
channel, not a messenger.

The snapshot you shared appears fully normal to me. In other words you are
complaining about a pS feature or perhaps the lack of it, but certainly not
about a bug.
The pS graph interconnects the results with a line and it is not the case
that the line you see is formed by a high dense of dots. Therefore when the
results from two distant measurements in time get connected, then you get the
false impression of continuity in the results. Still, as can be seen on the
snapshot, the small dots on the line depict the moments in time, when real
data had been found in the measurement archive. So IMO users are not left
clueless about it.

Of course I am not saying pS has the perfect presentation of the results, but
would you be able to describe the perfect solution having in mind that:
- latency measurements generate 100p/s. We present of course aggregation of
these, but still in short intervals
- latency measurement rate is configurable and the intervals of the test is
not stored in the archive. It is only the measurement results, when we have
them

So to conclude:
"Maddash WebUI does not detect VM agent down on dashboard when VM is powered
off"
MaDDash WebUI (= graphs) does not detect when a VM agent or any measurement
points are down or for any other connectivity or metric development issue.
Parts of this functionality is implemented in the pS MaDDash dashboard
matrix, which actually relies on Nagios based checks, but not the MaDDash
graphs.

Regards,
Ivan Garnizov

GEANT WP6T3: pS development team
GEANT WP7T1: pS deployments GN Operations
GEANT WP9T2: Software governance in GEANT