perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Re: perfsonar-tools hard dependency on gnuplot

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Re: perfsonar-tools hard dependency on gnuplot

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Brian Candler <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Re: perfsonar-tools hard dependency on gnuplot
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 16:47:28 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

Brian Candler writes:

Follow-up question: is it possible to install pscheduler such that it
only responds to incoming test requests, and does not schedule or
archive any of its own tests?

pScheduler is completely unaware the rest of the toolkit exists (by design),
will operate just fine without it and doesn’t do anything unless explicitly
asked. Getting meshconfig out of the picture (and making sure your host
isn’t in any meshes) will turn it into what you’re after.

I see that there's a "pscheduler-server" package, but that installs a
bunch of other stuff including a postgres database.

The database is integral to pScheduler and is where persistent data is stored
and most of the heavy lifting happens. This makes pScheduler heavier than
BWCTL, but not excessively so, and we think the tradeoffs we made for it
result in a better system overall.

I'm basically just trying to replicate an old bwctl+owamp+iperf setup,
as a lightweight test responder, in preparation for the time that the
bwctl protocol is no longer supported by perfsonar.

There is a package in the repository called pscheduler-bundle-full that’s
just pScheduler, the standard tests, tools and archivers that we ship and
enough for it to do whatever care and feeding it needs. You don’t get any of
the niceties the rest of the toolkit provides, but it doesn’t sound like you
need that. The only thing missing is the default limit configuration
installed by the toolkit, but you can snag that from the sources:
https://github.com/perfsonar/toolkit/blob/master/etc/default_service_configs/pscheduler_limits.conf.

If you’re planning to field this in a resource-constrained environment, my
daily-use development VMs are 2x2.4 GHz with 2 GiB RAM and pScheduler fits in
with room to spare. Obviously, this isn’t one of our officially-recommended
configurations

--Mark