perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar and Raspberry Pi

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar and Raspberry Pi

  • From: "Chevalier, Scott S" <>
  • To: Matthew Woodward <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar and Raspberry Pi
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 22:13:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Just throwing more comments for consideration. The pi-class devices are
generally not recommended by the perfSONAR community for a number of
reasons documented elsewhere and by others already having responded. There
are users of the platform incorporating pi-class gear for
experimental/playground purposes and for very specific tasks where the
limitations are understood and accepted. YMMV

Alan Whinery (University of Hawaii) has assembled a great deal of data on
using pi-class devices and his postings and some data can be found at
http://perfclub.org/

In fact, this link - http://perfclub.org/?p=190 - goes directly to a post
from today recounting some of Alan¹s work on ³the SWARM² (his pi-class
campus-wide performance monitoring exeriment) including the pros, cons,
and deviations from the norm which can be expected when working on
pi-class hardware.

Scott Chevalier
Network Systems Analyst
International Networks @ IU
<>
812-856-9964

On 2/28/17, 15:43,
"
on behalf of
Matthew Woodward"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

>Also, you'd be limited to a max of 480Mbps (although it would probably
>be less than that, say, ~300Mbps) since USB2 tops out at that speed.
>
>- M
>
>On 2/28/17 3:16 PM, Steven Wallace wrote:
>> I¹m planning something similar. One issue that others have raised is
>>that the pi¹s ethernet interface uses a USB controller, resulting in a
>>fair amount of jitter for delay testing.
>>

>>> On Nov 21, 2016, at 4:13 PM, Ryan Harden
>>> <>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I¹m digging up an old topic here, (yes I¹ve read the archives) but I¹m
>>>curious what the current state of affairs is. The most recent
>>>conversations I can find date back to 2014.
>>>
>>> I¹m working on building a low-cost perfSonar mesh to measure loss and
>>>latency (throughput isn¹t a requirement) across our campus. My goal is
>>>to build something that can be deployed quickly and easily in either a
>>>permanent or temporary fashion. Predictably, the RPi3 looks very
>>>attractive for this, so I¹ve acquired four to experiment with. I¹m not
>>>looking for ns latency resolution, just obvious spikes in latency that
>>>something like an RPi can detect in a reliable way.
>>>
>>> My goals are:
>>> 1) Power via PoE (done with adapter)
>>> 2) Run basic perfSonar packages (perhaps rebuilt for ARM?)
>>> 3) Gather wireless connection/auth statistics.