perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Centos 7 Repos

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Centos 7 Repos

  • From: "Nickless, Bill" <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>
  • Cc: Andreas Demetriou <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Centos 7 Repos
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 00:52:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update.

I know it's not perfsonar's recommended deployment modality, but users may wish to consider deploying the perfsonar distribution on virtual machines.  Just as there is value to perfsonar deployments on low end hardware, you can learn a lot from deployments on hypervisors.

I've already run into some newish hardware that CentOS 6 doesn't support (or support well).  In that situation I'm deploying CentOS 7 on the bare metal with the full intention of deploying the current supported perfsonar as a virtual machine.

For several years I've run the perfsonar distribution in a colo facility on a bare metal server in a that also performs layer two bridging and layer three routing.  Occasionally the automatic updates pushed an iptables configuration that broke layer three routing.  Having learned my lesson, my hardware refresh in that colo facility will run stock CentOS on the bare metal.  That way I decouple the virtual perfsonar instance functions and upgrade cycle from everything else that hardware does.  And given my fastest WAN link in that colo facility (at least for the life of the new hardware) will only be 10G, I'm not worried about the virtualization overhead impact on perfsonar.

Hope this helps and best regards,

Bill Nickless / / +1 509 713 2455