perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] PerfSonar Best Practices

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] PerfSonar Best Practices

  • From: "Remsik,Robert" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] PerfSonar Best Practices
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:00:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

Thank you I do have further questions about deployment.

After talking it over, I think I have three use-cases I'm trying to
accomplish. I'm not sure if there is a better way to go about it, but
I'm hoping to satisfy them with two different perfsonar installs(one for
internal testing and one for external research testing) because I don't
know if it's possible do it all with one box or if it should be done
with one box. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated - if I'm
trying to make the tool do something it's not supposed to do better to
find out sooner rather than later. :)

-=- Use Case 1 -=-
An on site/off site user says the network is slow; we ask them to use
NDT to send us the results to see if there is a bottleneck between them
and the perfsonar box. These can be researchers or standard desktop
users.

-=- Use Case 2 -=-
Setup OWAMP, BWCTL, NPAD, and tracerout tests to our ISP, and sister
universities running perfsonar so we can verify 10GB connectivity
between researchers. This seems best to setup as individual tests from
our perfsonar box rather than a mesh because of the multiple ownership
domains. And because one sister university may not care about
connectivity to another sister university.

-=- Use Case 3 -=-
Setup OWAMP, BWCTL, and NPAD to run regular tests from key points(~2-200
depending on hardware pricepoint) in our network to a perfsonar box so
we can proactively say that not only is that section of the network
hooked up with 1Gb or 10Gb, but we can consistently and routinely pass
~900Mb/~9Gb of traffic across that link with no loss. Since this is all
under one management domain a mesh deployment(coupled with maddash)
makes sense, except that it doesn't make as much sense for each
different section to talk to every other section; mostly we care about
to/from the central perfsonar testing box.

Thank you in advance,
Robert