perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfsonar latency box out of inodes, where will many tiny old files be?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfsonar latency box out of inodes, where will many tiny old files be?

  • From: Winnie Lacesso <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfsonar latency box out of inodes, where will many tiny old files be?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:18:03 +0000 (GMT)

Good afternoon!

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015, Aaron Brown wrote:
> Hey Winnie,
>
> Are the lots of files under a 'failed' directory? If so, could you send
No. Or they've already been removed.

> us the /var/log/perfsonar/regular_testing.log?

The box has been broken since late Nov so the regular_testing.log is
probably full of "broken, broken, broken"

The poor box has been chugging away about 3hours now on find + remove of
Nov+Dec timestamped files in esmond_latency_localhost/active/queue & data

df -i / is showing # free inodes increasing, it's just taking a long time.

> As to the files themselves, you can safely axe them. Anything that's in
> the 'failed' section can probably be removed, no matter the age.

Is it safe to remove the entire file directory structure though? for instance
in esmond_latency_localhost/active/data
drwxrwxrwx 5 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Oct 29 02:03 0/
drwxrwxrwx 5 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Nov 28 14:22 1/
drwxrwxrwx 4 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Dec 4 02:02 5/
drwxrwxrwx 5 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Dec 1 12:00 M/
drwxrwxrwx 5 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Oct 29 02:03 N/
drwxrwxrwx 3 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Dec 18 16:09 O/
drwxrwxrwx 4 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Dec 4 02:02 w/
drwxrwxrwx 3 perfsonar perfsonar 4096 Dec 1 12:00 z/

and each of those has several single-digit-or-letter directories inside it a
few levels deep with thousands of files in them.

It'd be much easier to /bin/rm -rf esmond_latency_localhost/* (if that's safe)
than find & remove the _files_ (only) several directory layers deep inside
(via find -type f -mtime +30 etc etc etc)

But would perfsonar services, once restarted, correctly & safely be able to
recreate the directory hierarchy inside esmond_latency_localhost ???

Same question for esmond_throughput_localhost & esmond_traceroute_localhost
altho they are much much smaller than esmond_latency_localhost.

Another question: this perfsonar latency box is currently like this:
root@lcgnetmon>
df -i /
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_lcgnetmon-lv_root
9478144 8108152 1369992 86% /

The perfsonar bandwidth box is:
root@lcgnetmon02>
df -i /
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_bfc-lv_root
14548992 193506 14355486 2% /

Does that kind of match other sites' latency (LOTS of inodes used) &
bandwidth (FEW inodes used) perfsonar boxen?

Our latency box is pretty broken which may account for its pathology.
Poor little blighter.