perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] NTP sources

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] NTP sources

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Brian Candler <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] NTP sources
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 15:56:34 -0500

FWIW, the horrible perfSONAR webmaster again forgot to migrate a page from
the old site that talked about NTP. He will be punished, severely, for his
crimes. Here it is now, perhaps it will be semi useful:

http://www.perfsonar.net/deploy/timekeeping-with-ntp/

Thanks;

-jason

On Dec 5, 2014, at 2:20 PM, Brian Candler

> On 05/12/2014 18:32, Eli Dart wrote:
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why would you trust ping to measure latency if
>> you're not satisfied with OWAMP?
>>
> Because the round-trip latency measurement doesn't depend on clock skew.
>
>> If NTP clock skew is causing you problems, I'm guessing you're measuring
>> latency over very short distances, but I'd like to ask before I assume.
>> What sort of network are you trying to measure? I apologize if I've
>> missed it in earlier threads.
>>
> Yes, it's short distances - right now it's in the office for test, and when
> deployed it will be over a few hops of fibre.
>
> However I've just discovered that the office ISP appears to be blocking NTP
> - so maybe NTP should be able to achieve better than I have been seeing
> once the boxes go into the field. I'll also try to give the ISP some clue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

On Dec 5, 2014, at 2:21 PM, Alan Whinery