perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] NTP sources

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] NTP sources

  • From: Alan Whinery <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] NTP sources
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 09:21:23 -1000

Because, as he said, owamp reports between two participants whose path
latency is similar or less than a typical NTP clock correction is more
noise than signal.

I wouldn't suggest hiding the latency, but in close-quarters owamp, the
loss really is the useful part.

Brian - As for clock discipline standards, you may want to look at
EndRun CDMA devices. They usually don't require the antenna-on-roof
aspect that a GPS install does, but provide similar precision.

http://endruntechnologies.com/time-frequency-reference-cdma.htm

http://net.its.hawaii.edu/network-performance/using-praecis/

Of course, you did say "not-too-expensive". In 2010, I paid $1,375.00
each for Praecis II.