perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Building a perfSONAR box without the Toolkit.

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Building a perfSONAR box without the Toolkit.

  • From: Mark Baker <>
  • To: "Robert V. Bolton" <>
  • Cc: Alan Whinery <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Building a perfSONAR box without the Toolkit.
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 18:22:54 -0400

Hi Robert,

I may have some value to you quest - I have a centralized PerfSonar build within an Intranet based network -
Which was primarily built to monitor and chart the basic PS functions of reporting loss and latency.

I have built this on Centos 05 releases variance of minor releases - and it works fine with the web servers which
respond to charting requests and the main MA's running on key central servers - with endpoints active on
remote smaller black boxes. I have admin servers running in a few locations based on regional site and time
zones.

If I can share any information that would be of value, please let me know - I was able to build this with
assistance from the I2 group before the kit was available on image, it was only a live CD at this time but
I managed to assemble a low level model which for me offered a set of key charts which was my main
objective. These servers are running and I maintain this architecture to this day.

I'm not sure of automating the configuration centrally, so the procedure is still manual, although I have
used some linux imaging for replication procedures (G4U/G4L)

If you would like any details feel free to contact me

I can say without question, that even this scaled down PS build is one of my most valued tool sets - I have
been in the business for almost 30 years and it is "irreplaceable".

Best regards

Mark