perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Multiple services on a single port

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Multiple services on a single port

  • From: David Richardson <>
  • To: Zafar Gilani <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Multiple services on a single port
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:38:42 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Zafar Gilani wrote:

Hey fellow users,

I was just wondering whether I can shift multiple services to listen on one
port
using one IP address (say for example 4 services mentioned below listen on
xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz:pp):

However since it is an important requirement of SLAC's security policy to
keep least
amount of ports in open state, I wanted to ask whether what we are trying to
do is
possible at all. What kind of changes would be required in order to achieve
this? And
whether "single port" approach is recommended or not (and any reasons for
particular
recommendations).

It is not possible.

A port can only be held by one process at a time. This is an inherent fact, and there is no way to change it.

DR

--
David Richardson
<>