perfsonar-user - Multiple services on a single port

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Multiple services on a single port

  • From: Zafar Gilani <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Multiple services on a single port
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:26:37 -0800

Hey fellow users,

I was just wondering whether I can shift multiple services to listen on one port using one IP address (say for example 4 services mentioned below listen on xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz:pp):

snmpMA - currently listening on port 8065
pinger Measurement Archive and Regular Tester - currently listening on
port 8075
perfSONAR BUOY Measurement Archive - currently listening on port 8085
Lookup service - currently listening on port 8095

I found that these services are up using the perfSONAR-PS and perfsonar-daemon, the script for daemon.pl for each service is placed at:
/usr/local/perfSONAR-PS/<service>/bin/daemon.pl

and configuration files at:
/usr/local/etc/perfSONAR.

I changed the value of the port inside the <port xx> .. </port> tag for each conf file but only one service can be started to listen on one port, attempting to start another service fails. I believe this is the expected behavior since perfSONAR is designed in such a way. The daemon.pl script used by various services (mentioned above) are same but start another instance of daemon to listen onto a different port each time a service is started.

However since it is an important requirement of SLAC's security policy to keep least amount of ports in open state, I wanted to ask whether what we are trying to do is possible at all. What kind of changes would be required in order to achieve this? And whether "single port" approach is recommended or not (and any reasons for particular recommendations).

Regards,
Zafar | Research Associate | SLAC