perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] xmldb error

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] xmldb error

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Manuel SUBREDU <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] xmldb error
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:48:20 -0400

Manuel;

The first message exchange is normal: the GUI is asking the LS to format the result data in a special way and the LS is replying that it can't.

The second exchange indicates a cryptic error; I recently fixed a bug with this GUI to try to eliminate this error, and the fix appears to work for other Java hLS instances (e.g. see here: http://dc211.internet2.edu/cgi-bin/perfSONAR/view.cgi?hls=http://mdm1.usatlas.bnl.gov:8080/geant2-java-xml-ls/services/LookupService) so I am inclined to think that your service may have a problem instead of the GUI.

I am not the developer of the Java LS, but here are some questions you can try to answer to figure out what the error may indicate:

1) Is eXist configured properly? This error can mean that the interface between eXist and the LS is not functioning properly either due to configuration of the services or something external (a firewall maybe?)

1.5) There is a self test that can be run by sending a simple message to the LS:

https://wiki.man.poznan.pl/perfsonar-mdm/index.php/LS_echo-results

Hint: I sent the message to test the database and got the same error you are seeing.

2) Does the database have data? There is a client application you can log in to and examine the eXist collections (located here, use your admin username/password: http://perfsonar.nren.ro:8080/exist/webstart/exist.jnlp). If I remember correctly the collection is called just 'ls'. If there is nothing in this collection it could indicate a problem with configuration.

Hope this helps;

-jason

I know is not a good sign to reply to my own mails but I have more
information about this. I captured the packets (using tcpdump) sent to
our hLS and I found out that actually, our perfSONAR sends back 2 messages:

<first message>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";><soapenv:Body><nmwg:message
id="message.5115001_resp" messageIdRef="message.5115001"
type="LSQueryResponse"
xmlns:nmwg="http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/base/2.0/";><nmwg:metadata
id="resultCodeMetadata"><nmwg:eventType>error.ls.query.ls_output_not_accepted</nmwg:eventType></nmwg:metadata><nmwg:data
id="resultDescriptionData_for_resultCodeMetadata"
metadataIdRef="resultCodeMetadata"><nmwgr:datum
xmlns:nmwgr="http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/result/2.0/";>This version of LS
supports only [escaped] results of xquery (by default). You used
[native]
value.</nmwgr:datum></nmwg:data></nmwg:message></soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

</first message>

<second message>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";><soapenv:Body><nmwg:message
id="message.13104590_resp" messageIdRef="message.13104590"
type="LSQueryResponse"
xmlns:nmwg="http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/base/2.0/";><nmwg:metadata
id="resultCodeMetadata"><nmwg:eventType>error.common.storage.xmldb.open</nmwg:eventType></nmwg:metadata><nmwg:data
id="resultDescriptionData_for_resultCodeMetadata"
metadataIdRef="resultCodeMetadata"><nmwgr:datum
xmlns:nmwgr="http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/result/2.0/";>XQuery by HTTP failed.
Could not connect to eXist via pure http, nested exception was: class
java.net.ConnectException : Connection
refused</nmwgr:datum></nmwg:data></nmwg:message></soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

</second message>

Manuel SUBREDU wrote:
Hi,

when I go to [1] and click on the url of our perfsonar (nren.ro), I get
the following errors.
<quote>
Collection:
http://ogf.org/ns/nmwg/tools/org/perfsonar/service/lookup/query/xquery/2.0
Store Type: LSStore

EventType: error.common.storage.xmldb.open
Response: XQuery by HTTP failed. Could not connect to eXist via pure
http, nested exception was: class java.net.ConnectException :
Connection refused

EventType: error.common.storage.xmldb.open
Response: XQuery by HTTP failed. Could not connect to eXist via pure
http, nested exception was: class java.net.ConnectException :
Connection refused

</quote>

I do not understand what is the error. I have the exist databases
available on perfsonar.nren.ro:8080/exists/ . Could you point me into
the rigth direction ?

[1] - http://dc211.internet2.edu/cgi-bin/perfSONAR/tree.cgi