perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Database connection to the LookupService is not established

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Database connection to the LookupService is not established

  • From: Maciej Glowiak <>
  • To: Tijmen van den Brink <>
  • Cc: Loukik Kudarimoti <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Database connection to the LookupService is not established
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:07:46 +0200

Hi Tijmen,

Tijmen van den Brink pisze:
> A quick update: Maciej kindly reminded me of the HTTP connector and the
> XMLRPC-like url. With the web client I was able to login using the
> XMLRPC-like url.
> So I reconfigured the LookupService by issueing the command: ant configure

Hmm, I am not sure if you shouldn't deploy the service again after changing the configuration (ant deploy step copies the configuration files to destination directory in fact).

> Then when the script asked me I told it to use xmlrpc instead of http.
> (I would like to use HTTP because it stated it would be much faster but
> for now I just wanted it to work)

Yes, it's much faster, but xmlrpc is still acceptable.

> I changed the portnumber in service.properties from 8680 to 8080 and
> restarted tomcat. This however didn't help. When I test the service I
> get the following error:

You don't need to change the port number if using eXist DB as WAR. Then the port number may be the same. I can see in your configuration you still use port 8080 for tomcat.

The port number must be changed if you install eXist as a standalone application, because we assume the default port 8080 is already binded by Tomcat (LS).

> Could this have anything todo with collection data missing?

Hmm, "ant client-echo" tests 3 things:

1. tries to access DB and get just current data/time from it. It tests connection, user account, etc.

2. tries to get collection LSStore

3. tries to get collection LSStore-control

So, even if eXist storage is not configured, pt.1 should work if username/password is ok and database is started.

> Here is my service.properties

Well, basically there are two service.properties files.
One is in /home/tijmen/perfsonar-bundle-2.0/XML-LS-1.1.1/perfsonar/conf/
and during "deploy" process is copied to:
/home/tijmen/perfsonar-bundle-2.0/tomcat/webapps/XML-LS-1.1.1/WEB-INF/classes/perfsonar/conf/

> # Database username and password for ls_storage
> service.ls.db_type=xmlrpc
> service.ls.db_uri=xmldb:exist://127.0.0.1:8080/exist/xmlrpc
> service.ls.db_username=manager
> service.ls.db_password=MyPassword

It seems to be ok. I assume your user account and password are ok?

I am now in Cambridge and I won't have internet access later on today, so I can go back to your problem on Monday.

What I can suggest, you may just remove your installation of LS and try to install it from scratch. But I hope you'll find the error before that.

Best regards

Maciej