ntacpeering - Re: NET+ traffic on R&E routes document

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: NET+ traffic on R&E routes document

  • From: Michael H Lambert <>
  • To: Linda Roos <>
  • Cc: "" <>, George Loftus <>
  • Subject: Re: NET+ traffic on R&E routes document
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:49:27 -0500
On 18 Sep 2013, at 12:42, Linda Roos

> Dear NTAC Routing and Peering Committee,
> Attached, please find, a document on NET+ traffic on R&E routes. This
> document has been reviewed by the Network Architecture, Operations and
> Policy Program Advisory Group (NAOPpag). Should you have any questions or
> comments on the document, please let me know. Thanks.

It's been a while and I've seen no comments, so I will do so now. I have a
couple of problems with this sentence:

"While these service providers may transport some “non-research” traffic to
members over the network, reaching the providers over commodity paths or
TR-CPS paths which are provisioned like commodity paths will not achieve what
the community wants with NET+."

1) Where are the data that support this claim about community expectations
for network performance for Net+?

2) I view TR-CPS as being closer in performance to the R&E network than to
the commodity Internet. If there is a prevailing view that TR-CPS has become
too "commodity-like", then perhaps what is needed is a strategic review of
the peer selection process, followed by a review of individual peers in that
context.

Michael

-----
Michael H Lambert, GigaPoP Coordinator Phone: +1 412 268-4960
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center/3ROX FAX: +1 412 268-5832
300 S Craig St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA