ntacpeering - Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

  • From: Michael H Lambert <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 11:50:00 -0400
On 24 May 2013, at 10:04, Grover Browning wrote:

> Full mesh with MPLS FRR/BFD.

Trying to see past my knee-jerk, religious, "MPLS is Evil" initial reaction...

Let's assume that at some point in the not-too-distant future we have solid,
full-featured implementations of OpenFlow version x.y, where ((what we need)
<= x.y < (what we want)). What do we want the IP-over-AL2S topology to look
like at that time? If it's a full mesh of SDN-configured paths, then why not
start out with a topology that mimics that goal. If it's not, then we might
want to go in some other direction in the interim. I would conjecture that a
full mesh is a reasonable approach, at least until we have a tight(er)
coupling among SDN, routing protocols and real-time flow switching.

As an alternative to MPLS/FRR/BFD, how about traditional VLANs on top of
TRILL rather than spanning tree?

Michael